Smit Lamnalco is the leading provider of safe and efficient towage and associated marine services to the oil and gas terminal industry. With more than 150 vessels and more than 1700 staff and crews worldwide, Smit Lamnalco is dedicated to providing marine support services tailored to the operational needs of global customers in local markets. Active in almost 25 countries, with a focus on Australia, the Middle East and Africa, Smit Lamnalco specialises in bringing international standards on safety, logistics, mooring and towage to onshore and offshore operations in challenging environments. More information on Smit Lamnalco can be found on www.smitlamnalco.com
For the Legal Department in our HQ in the Netherlands, we have an opening for a:
Group Legal Counsel
As Group Legal Counsel, your main responsibilities are to provide legal advice and support to the Smitlamnalco group of companies in order to protect the company’s business interests, to limit the risks and to ensure compliance with legislation and the Group Legal Framework.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Advise on various legal aspects relevant to the business, including on insurance (related) matters.
- Draft, review and negotiate international contracts, including possible joint ventures.
- Initiate and set-up new corporate structures and new (local) entities, amend existing structures.
- Initiate, coordinate and assist on the purchase and sale of vessels, vessel ownership and registration.
- Provide legal support to (senior) management in case of disputes, settlement of claims, litigation and arbitration, monitor the progress of pending disputes, and liaise with (and manage) external lawyers.
- Provide legal support on contract lifecycle management, initiate and assist on the development of templates and standardization of legal processes and otherwise contribute to the development, implementation and maintenance of the Group Legal Framework.
- Establish clear and effective legal policies and procedures, and ensure the application thereof as well as compliance with laws and regulations, including in the areas of compliance and sanctions.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A Bachelor and Master degree in Law.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience as (in-house) legal counsel in an international setting, preferably in the maritime and/or oil & gas industry.
- In depth knowledge of and experience with international contract law, corporate law, and preferably common law.
- Strategic insights and analytical thinking.
- Problem solving and result orientation.
- Excellent communication - and influencing skills.
- Confidence and credibility to work with senior-level corporate executives.
- Positive attitude, can-do mentality, hands-on, team player.
- Flexible and able to multi-task
- Fluent in English (both written and verbal).
The position is based in Rotterdam / Papendrecht. Smit Lamnalco offers the opportunity to develop yourself in a challenging, dynamic and international environment. For more information, please feel free to contact Sandrien Bennebroek, Group General Counsel (SBennebroek@smitlamnalco.com) or Margareth Schipper, Group HR Director (email@example.com).
Acquisition for this vacancy is appreciated.